Murphy's Law

10 Generations of real life problems.

This was supposed to be a legacy but it's turned into a story...

Anyway, this story is inspired by favorite books, movies, television shows and personal experiences.

Life is not a fairy tale but that doesn't mean it's not beautiful. After all, you love people in spite of their flaws, and sometimes their flaws make you love them even more.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Chapter 1.4 - When Can I See You Again


Nate stood on his favorite bridge, playing "I'm So Twitterpated", the song he had written for Marilyn, back when the name "Marilyn Astor" meant nothing to him.  His ideal girl had been more of an idea back then, a whispered hope, a dream he had when he slept under the stars.  She had told him a little bit of her current situation and he thought then that he would have no chance with her.  A former socialite, raised in the comforts that only money can buy, could never love a guitar playing fisherman who slept on the park benches in front of grocery stores.  His life was simple and he was happy. But everything had changed when he saw Marilyn Astor walk out of that Theatre.  And suddenly, he had wanted to be more.  But he had no way to help her.

He hadn't seen her in a couple of days.  He wondered if she got the job and if she had learned to cook.  But a dark thought crossed his face.  What if she had succumbed to the charms of Tad Horowitz and lowered herself to being his mistress.  Or even worse - what if she had decided to date her friend Carter.  Nate had met corn with more between their ears than that frat packing smug asshole Carter.  Not that he had ever met the guy.  Marilyn had never even said a bad word about him.  But Carter was everything Nate could never be - blond, muscular, and athletic.  And he could give Marilyn things Nate couldn't.

But Nate was not without his own merits.  He had a lot to offer the right woman.  He knew that if he were to ever fall in love with a girl, it would take more than Hollywood good looks and a fat wallet to catch her attention.  And Nate hoped that Marilyn could be that girl.  Because he felt like he knew her and desperately hoped her to be different.  They'd only hung out twice and he didn't have much to go on, but he was eager to find out.  Maybe tonight.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *


I was eating lunch hours before my first day at work when I felt someone staring at me.  You know how it is.  Their gaze was burning through me and making me flush.  It was unnerving.  Well, if it was a paparazzo, formerly wealthy socialites don't give them much material for a juicy story.

I didn't have to ponder this for long because Tad Freaking Horowitz himself jumped out of the plant.  I was furious.  I had to be at work in three hours and I didn't need to be getting worked up.


"What do you want, Tad?"

"Well hello yourself, Marilyn darling."  Tad gave me a super greasy grin.  "Some little birdies were talking the other day when I was at the gym and...oh by the way, have you been to the gym lately?  Brand new equipment..."

"Just get to the frigging point already."  I rolled my eyes.

"Ah yes.  I heard that you were getting married to Carter Pomeroy."

I practically leapt from the table.  "Who did you hear that from?"  I growled.


"Oh Marilyn, does it matter?  My best friend and my ex-girlfriend.  Hmm...now I know how you must have felt when Babe and I hooked up..."

"You CHEATED Tad!"  I cried.  "It's different.  Besides," I narrowed my eyes, "I haven't boinked Carter yet and I'm not dating him let alone marrying him."

He leaned in, interested.  "Really?"


"Yes!  And honestly, if I was, it would be no business of yours.  When you cheated, you vetoed all of your proprietary rights.  I can date, boink or marry anyone of my choosing and you can't do anything about it."

Just then my phone rang.  "Excuse me while I take this."


Tad glared at me while I answered my ringing cell.  So this is what it finally feels like.  No wonder guys are such jerks.  It feels good to be an asshole!

"Hello?"

*     *     *     *     *     *     *


When Marilyn got out of work that evening, Nate was waiting for her, exactly as he had promised earlier on the phone.  She made her way over to him, dragging her feet tiredly.

Apparently, she had had some confrontation with Tad at lunch and then a horrible first day at her job.  She was still considered a gopher and when she wasn't running errands or making coffee, she was copying music and cleaning.  


Nate knew just how to cheer her up.  He would take her to his favorite bridge in the Hidden Gardens.  It was dark - the best time to go fishing for catfish.  Marilyn reluctantly agreed.  She had a sore back and her feet were slightly blistered plus she was sleepy but Nate had a way of making her embrace the suck.


"Nate, your bridge is beautiful," Marilyn whispered, careful not to spook the catfish.  'Thank you for bringing me here."

He wanted to ask her about Carter but in the moonlight, she looked calm and serene and he didn't want to upset her again.  They sat on the soft grass and somehow he knew that she could never be with Carter or Tad.  She had fallen for him as he had her.


"After tonight, I'm sure that work will be much easier tomorrow."

He laughed softly.  "Glad to hear that."

"Can I call you to come hang out with me whenever I've had a bad day?"

Yes, he would like that very much.  But he also wanted to be there for her when she was happy.  In fact, he wanted to be there for her always, to spend every day, good or bad, together.

"Nate?"  She stood up.  He rose as well and goosebumps appeared on his arms.



"Yes, Marilyn?"

"When are you going to have me over?"  Her voice held the faintest hint of sensuality, dropping into hushed tones.  "I'd really like to see your house some time."


Gulp.

3 comments:

  1. Aw! Poor Nate :( Hopefully Mar doesn't get freaked out by the fact that he's homeless... but if she really has fallen for him, then it shouldn't matter.

    I know the generation is already completed, but I sure am hoping you mention how Nate ended up homeless, or just give a little more of a backstory for him. I would love to find out more about him! :)

    ♥ and harp strings,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,

    I love how you assume he is homeless. Nate is probably my favorite Sim that I have made of all time. Generation 2 is coming along slowly because I just want to play as Nate. I am saving all Sims and all generations to the bin in case I ever miss one.

    And yes, there will be explanations. All 10 generations have been planned and back stories will be told.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your legacy today and I must say I'm enjoying it very much. And Nate makes the most adorable faces. I think he and Mar are so perfect for each other!

    ReplyDelete