Murphy's Law

10 Generations of real life problems.

This was supposed to be a legacy but it's turned into a story...

Anyway, this story is inspired by favorite books, movies, television shows and personal experiences.

Life is not a fairy tale but that doesn't mean it's not beautiful. After all, you love people in spite of their flaws, and sometimes their flaws make you love them even more.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Chapter 1.9 You Make My Dreams

We had been living at Nate's old mansion for the past two months.  Nate refused to tell me what was going on, only that our little house was going through a renovation.  Finally, he brought me to our new home.  When the taxi pulled up, I could hardly believe what I was seeing.  


I paid the cabbie his due and walked up the sidewalk to our new home in absolute awe.


I could scarcely believe that this is where we would be living from here on out.  I looked like a child on Christmas morning.  Nate looked at me, pleased with my reaction.


"Seriously, Nate?  Am I dreaming?'

He chuckled.  "No, love.  This is all ours."

Nate must have paid the interior decorators a small fortune because the house was more even more spectacular inside.


It might not have been an estate or mansion but we had decided a long time ago that our life would be ours, not the lives our parents had chosen for us.  It wasn't exactly the shack I was accustomed to, either.  No, our new home was perfect.  

Nate had gotten hired at the Theatre as well.  While I wanted to become a movie composer, he had chosen to be a Rock Star.  He desperately wanted to find an indie label that would hire him on but we both knew that it could take awhile for that to happen.  So for now, we were working, our noses to the grind, free from our families' names, to forge our own legends ourselves.  And it felt so good.

When we weren't working, we found time to:

lounge in the hot tub,

fish in our backyard pond,

cuddle in front of a roaring fireplace on chilly evenings,

dance,

and hot tub some more.  Wink wink.  ;)  

Nate even became a decent mixologist.

Then one day, Nate asked me if I would like to go on a special date later.  I readily accepted, wondering if we were going to go to the Bistro for our one year anniversary.  I ate breakfast that morning, excited about what that evening would bring.


*     *     *     *     *     *     *

Nate was an absolute wreck.  He had been dating Marilyn for a year now and this evening, he intended on proposing to her.  They had only known each other for a couple of months when he had wanted to propose the first time but he was glad he had waited after all.  They had no secrets.  Sure they fought time to time and more than once, she had flung his duplicitous past back into his face but they loved each other fiercely.


He was almost certain of her answer but it didn't stop his tummy from flopping in every direction.  Tonight was the night that he would make Marilyn Astor his forever.  

*     *     *     *     *     *     *

Nate whipped the blindfold from Marilyn's eyes.  "Nate?" she gasped.  "What are we doing here?"  They were standing in the Hidden Gardens, ten feet from "their" bridge.  Nate had been very mysterious all day and would only answer questions with a practiced vagueness.  


Nate grinned at her.  "Marilyn, we've been together for a year but honestly, I believe I have loved you from the very first day you heard me playing in front of the Theatre.  I know it hasn't been an easy road but we've made it this far and I can't imagine my life without you."

Marilyn smiled, a picture of loveliness.  And then she watched on as her beloved whipped out his guitar and started serenading her.


He was playing "I'm So Twitterpated".

After the song was over, he led her to the middle of the bridge.  Marilyn wondered if he was going to whip out his fishing pole as well.

"One moment," he murmered.


His heart almost stopped but he kept on.  He thought if he hesitated, he wouldn't be able to continue at all.  It had all come down to this and he'd be damned if he didn't finish it.

Nate slowly sunk to one knee, his eyes on his lover the entire time.  "Sweetheart, I wanted to ask you this almost a year ago, but it was before you knew who I was.  In the past year, I'd like to think that we've gotten to know each other pretty well.  You are my best friend and the only woman I want.  Please do me the honor of becoming my wife."


She squealed as he produced a modest diamond ring, not flashy like Carter's had been and a custom design.  The ring was white gold with a small engraving on the inside - N.B. + M.A. = forever - and fashioned out of love.

"Yes," she breathed.  Then, finding her voice, she exclaimed, "yes, yes, a hundred times YES!"


Nate slid the ring on her slim, pale finger and kissed his future bride, a happy man indeed.


1 comment: