Murphy's Law

10 Generations of real life problems.

This was supposed to be a legacy but it's turned into a story...

Anyway, this story is inspired by favorite books, movies, television shows and personal experiences.

Life is not a fairy tale but that doesn't mean it's not beautiful. After all, you love people in spite of their flaws, and sometimes their flaws make you love them even more.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Chapter 1.11 First Day of My Life

Yours is the first face that I saw
I think I was blind before I met you
Now I don't know where I am
I don't know where I've been
But I know where I want to go

And you said "this is the first day of my life"
I'm glad I didn't die before I met you
But now I don't care I could go anywhere with you
And I'd probably be happy

- Bright Eyes


*     *     *     *     *     *     *

The next morning, we spent some quality time together playing Foosball.


And then I left to go get a facial...


...while Nate fished in our pond.


We had decided to have a private ceremony on our bridge in the Hidden Gardens.  We wanted neither to be in the Society papers nor to make our wedding a big deal.  It WAS a big deal to us but neither one of us had any family and we didn't have any close friends.  What we felt for each other felt too personal to share with mere acquaintances.

When I got home, I headed straight for our bedroom to begin getting ready.  I had been nervous all morning at the Spa, even when I was getting my facial.  But now, looking in the mirror, I felt a calm wash over my body.  I was marrying my best friend today.


*     *     *     *     *     *     *

Nate stood on their bridge, waiting for Marilyn's arrival.  It had all come down to this.  Looking back, he could recall all of the tears, lies, confusion and heartache.  But the moments of love and happiness (more like bliss) easily outshone the few dark patches they had gone through.  And in one hour, it was all going to be worth it.


He almost stopped breathing when he saw her walk up to the bridge.  Nate knew his bride-to-be was lovely, but never before had she looked so beautiful.  Her cheeks were flushed and radiant.  She was positively effervescent.


Marilyn walked towards him.


They said their vows then - simple ones that they had each written, whispers of love on a bridge on a clear day that nobody heard but themselves.  Then the two lovers exchanged rings...


...and sealed their bond with a kiss.


Marilyn's eyes shimmered with tears.  "I thought I would be alone forever, Nate.  I thought I would never be able to find this.  But you found me."

"Yes, and I'm not planning on losing you", he chuckled.


Her eyes were yet moist and her lip still trembled as the day's events began to sink in.  After a lifetime of isolation, it was all over.  She had met someone who had finally given her the love she had always craved.  A very large hole in her heart had been filled. 

Nate cast a tender look at his bride.  "Let's go home, Mar."  He held out his hand and they walked to the car, the new Mr. and Mrs. Nathaniel Bergdorf.

3 comments:

  1. This was beautiful. They both looked gorgeous on their wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so sweet. I especially like the Bright Eyes lyrics at the beginning. That bridge in Hidden Springs is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete